Greeks are known as the best cook in the world and I second that! They believe in fresh food. Seafood is anyways marvelous but to my surprise, they also excel in vegetarian food.
Restaurant in Greek is known as “Taverna”. Many beautiful white ambiance Taverna is spread across the seaside in Thirasia/Kamari/Oia/Fira/Firostefani etc.
Restaurants are widely spread & finding food is not at all a task. In most of the restaurant’s menu you will find common Greek cuisines such as
- Greek salad (Olives, onion, cucumber, tomato, & Greek feta cheese), with olive oil & oregano over the top.
- Fried eggplant (the original white eggplant from Santorini).
- Santorini tomato balls ( Cherry local tomatoes, onion and flour fried in olive oil ).
Vegetarian – Greek salad, feta cheese, tzatziki (Greek curd & cucumber spread), Kolokythoanthoi (zucchini dish), Florina peppers, Pita bread, Revithia (chickpeas), Yemista (stuffed vegetables), olives,capers, Santorini tomatoes, Spanakopita (spinach pie), Pita Wrap/Gyro/Souvlaki (veg options are also there replacing meat with mushroom/veg balls).
Non Vegetarian – Mainly seafoods – Calamari (Squids), Lobster,Octopus, Moussaka (layers of minced lamb with aubergine and a white sauce), Snails, Souvlaki (red meat grilled on a skewer), Gyros ( red meat served similar to a doner kebab).
Desserts – Frozen yogurt, Baklava (traditional sweet), Local ice-cream (Tried in Kamari near Navy’s restaurant square).
Go for platters this gives a good spread of bread, salad/spreads, feta cheese (sometimes grilled) etc.
Few good restaurants we tried and is worth recommending
- Navy’s restaurant, Kamari (I found the best food here. Good ambience, great music at the seaside),
- Poseidon, Kamari,
- Captain John, Thirasia.
- Choose your hotel with breakfast. Greek breakfast spread is good. If going for an exotic stay then breakfast is served in your room which is excellent.
- In Oia or Fira choose a restaurant from where you can get good view/sunset. There are PLENTY of it but you need to be quick to walk-in and book as side tables are almost full.
- Food is also expensive here so for cheaper options best I can suggest is – NICK grill in Fira. Tried pita wrap here – it’s fresh & delicious (veg/non-veg).
- I would suggest to keep it simple. Just go to the place Oia, Kamari, Fira etc. and find the restaurant according to your choice instead of booking online as there are wide range of restaurants with their menus displayed outside. So pick and choose the one you like as per menu, ambience & view of Santorini.
Looking for place to stay in Santorini? Visit Santorini hotels for a wise choice of stay
Thinking of a vacation in santorini? Visit What Santorini has to offer the tourist? and Santorini Itinerary
One thought on “Food in Santorini”
This looks so yummy. I love greek food 😀
LikeLiked by 1 person